Road construction is almost here for the 2021 season and we wanted to share some shocking facts for you to think about the next time you pass through a construction zone this summer.
- Almost daily one or more vehicles will drive past a flag persons “stop” sign without stopping because they “didn’t see us”
- Some drivers treat the Flag Persons stop sign like an actual stop sign (stop for a few seconds, then proceed) This is in fact NOT true
- Flaggers are yelled at and belittled each day for simply doing their job
- All signs and traffic control equipment on the road are pre-planned out, approved by the governing traffic authority, and follow a pre-designed designated traffic management plan for the type of job being done
- In 2018 women in the construction trades made up 3.9 percent of workers in the fields
- Work only stops if there is an accident, a break down or inclement weather.
- Most of the time as long as it is safe to do so and it doesn’t interfere with the road work being done, road construction goes rain or shine!
- Although it may not seem like it, flaggers do their best to get you through the zone as quickly as possible
- Drivers will try to get through the Construction Zone faster than the queue times allow through various attempts such as: bribing, threatening, stories intended to invoke feelings of sympathy, and even driving around the Flagger.
- We often work weekends in addition to weekdays, including some Sundays in order to get projects completed in the short road construction season
Written by: Kiandra Lyttle
Contact Direct Traffic at any of the following areas to inquire about your next project
Direct Traffic Ltd.
1535 Frederick Street